How to Write an Essay that is worth “A” grade
An essay is a literary piece that involves creativity and writing skills. This is one of the most common assignments students get when studying in universities or colleges. In this article, we have gathered core tips on how to write an essay from professors, recent graduates of higher education entities, and professional academic writers working at TypeMyEssays. Please keep reading to find out various types of essays, the peculiarities of writing each of them, and how to write a good but simple essay.
What is as an Essay and Why Students Need to Write It
When hearing the term “essay”, many people assume that it is an ordinary written work. However, it is not the case. An essay is a prosaic literary genre. Translated from French, it means “sketch.” An essay reflects the individual experiences of an author, his views on a particular issue. It does not provide an exhaustive answer to a specific question but reflects one’s own opinion or impression. Style of information presentation is more focused on conversational. When writing this type of work, one’s logic, ability to argue one’s opinion, and present information are developed, and for this reason, most college students are required to write it.
Some Distinctive Features of an Essay
Presence of specific topic or issue to be considered. Writing is devoted to analyzing a wide range of problems that cannot be performed in this genre by definition, Expression of individual impressions and considerations on a particular occasion or issue. Such writing obviously does not try to define or provide an exhaustive interpretation of a given subject. It assumes a new opinion about something; such work can have a philosophical, historical-biographical, journalistic, literary-critical, scientific-popular, or purely fictional character. An author’s personality, worldview, thoughts, and feelings are first and foremost presented to the audience in an essay’s contents.
This genre has become popular in recent years. This genre was introduced by M. Montaigne (“Experiments”, 1580). Today, these types of assignments are common. It is one of the main components upon admission to an educational institution or a job. An essay contest helps choose some very best students from a variety of applicants. The way a candidate manages to present himself, how he describes his achievements and misses allows examiners to determine whether this person is good enough for them, whether his experience is sufficient and whether he will justify hopes shortly and will be able to bring benefits.
Main Types of Essays
- Descriptive. This type is usually used to introduce readers to some novelties in home appliances, cars, fashion, or another field. With an essay writing helper for description, it is easy to tell readers how to solve this or that vital task in practice.
- Causal. For such a piece of writing, one phenomenon is taken, and all the consequences to which it resulted are considered. You can consider old equipment of planting to be a cause of environmental pollution in a particular area. It would help if you considered all possible consequences of the operation of this equipment: its impact on the health of workers and people living nearby, on flora and fauna, on manufactured products, etc. You can also consider a variety of reasons that led to the same effect.
- Comparative. This type of writing involves making comparisons of several objects or different opinions. Conclusions in such a work are made depending on the purpose of comparison. If you compare several types of lawnmowers, then, in the end, you can give recommendations on their use for cutting lawns of different types.
- Concept. This kind of work is necessary for the consideration of different concepts. You can consider several options for determining the same term, disclosed in different sources, comparing them, deriving their own definition on their basis. Here you can also conduct a classification of different concepts.
- Argumentative. The main task of such writing is to convince readers in some way with the help of advanced arguments. In addition to convictions, you can encourage certain actions. For example, you may want to try to convince readers to join a particular organization. Here it would be best if you logically built all the available facts about the activities of this organization: describe the benefits that it has.
- Analytical. Defining element of such a work is the analysis of a problem. You can try to find out how a particular artist’s performance affected the painting of his contemporaries. Your thoughts will be reduced to analyzing the work of writing research papers of different artists and revealing certain regularities in them. Find more on how to write a simple research paper on TypeMyEssays.
Structure and Steps to Writing an Essay
How to start an essay? The order of writing this academic work is usually brought down to three steps.
How to write an introduction in an essay? Like any written work, an essay contains an introductory part or an introduction. A well-written introduction makes a reader interested and read your essay to the end. The introductory part may contain the formulation of a problem and its essence, rhetorical question, quotation, etc. It is important to create a special emotional mood and bring a reader to the problem under consideration using good hooks for essays. So, now you should know how to write a simple essay introduction.
- Main body
In the main body, you can evaluate different points of view on the issue under consideration, touch upon the history of the issue, etc.
Usually, the body of the text consists of several sub-items, each of which consists of three sections: a thesis (the proposition to be proven), justification (the arguments used to prove the initial thesis), and a subpoena (partial answer to key questions).
Arguments are judgments expressed to convince a reader of the truth of a particular view. It can be different situations from life, opinions of scientists, evidence, etc.
The argument can be constructed in the following sequence:
- An example.
- Final judgment.
3. How to write a simple essay outline? Lastly, conclusions drawn from each thesis presented in the main part are combined. A reader should arrive at a logical conclusion based on the arguments given. In the end, the problem is re-introduced, and a final conclusion is drawn. That’s basically is how to write a simple conclusion to an essay.
If the goal of the introductory part is to interest a reader, then the last sentences have to add integrity to an overall picture, leave the work in a readers’ memory and push them to reflections.
The Difference Between Essay and Composition
The best essay writing services are different from writing a regular composition. If the task is to write an essay, then it is necessary to consider the characteristic features of the genre that distinguish it from the others. Unlike the work in which work of art is analyzed, an essay contains the author’s point of view and his position on the problem under consideration.
One of the distinguishing parts of an essay from a composition is its goal is to surprise a reader, to impress him, using vivid images, aphorisms, and paradoxical statements.
The right essay format
Often, educational institutions put forward their requirements for writing an essay:
Font. If there are no font requirements, it is advisable to adhere to the standard rules: use the Times New Roman font, 12 size, and double spacing between lines.
Pagination. In the text, end-to-end numbering is applied. The page number is not displayed on the title page, but it is considered when numbering.
Subtitles. In the main part of an essay, subheadings can be used to be presented in bold. Subheadings should be written with a paragraph indent, with a capital letter, without a dot at the end of the subtitle, and without using underscores.
Graphic material. In the main part of an essay, you can present diagrams, tables. All figures and tables are numbered, and their titles are located in the middle of the line (Figure 1 – Name, Table 1 – Title). The picture’s name is written under it, and the table’s name should be above it.
To conclude, we hope that you find this article helpful and you have learned quite a lot about how to write a simple essay fast. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section below!